11 February 2009

Influences

When it comes to images that pull me in and inspire me, I find myself drawn to two polar opposites. I revere stark, striking, chiaroscuro black and white photographs that pull the light out from the dark. I am also fascinated by images whose colors are so bold, so bright, and so vivid, that they seem to scream out at you. I'm inspired not only by the visual stimuli of photographs and films but by music as well. For me, when I hear the brash gritty, in-your-face music from, or think of, The Clash, Henry Rollins, and Iggy Pop, my brain registers them in black and white. But when I listen to Talking Heads or Regina Spektor, I think of rich, bright, pure color. That being said, these are the artists/images/experiences that rock my socks off!

(All images are sole copyright of their artist.)

Color:








Films:
Rear Window, Harold and Maude

Black & White:
(works are in color, yes, but inspires me in his usage of dark and light)







Herb Ritts





Films:
La Strada, A Taste of Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment