11 February 2009

Rough weather

From WFAA.com:

Weather Blog: The Morning After

A line of storms swept through the North Texas area swiftly Tuesday evening and damaged dozens of homes in its path. North Texas remains under a Wind Advisory until noon Wednesday.

For the nearly hour-by-hour coverage of yesterdays storm, go here.

Some horrible weather makes for some beautiful photographs:

(taken by PrestC17 / WFAA.com visitor)


(taken by Darkanion / WFAA.com visitor)

On a personal note:
Last night, as I was driving home from class, I saw an awful lot of lightning on the horizon. Full aware that a storm was brewing, I turned on KRLD 1080 AM to hear what I was in store for. Holy smokes, were the weather reports horrid! Bulletins from The National Weather Service kept interrupting the already ominous reporting. The moment I crossed the Royse City city limits sign, I got a call from Manjill warning me that the weather was really bad from Rockwall to Mesquite, and that he had to pull over to (pun coming up...) weather the storm. Well, at this point, I had a semi-truck in front of me and one right behind me and the country road provided me nowhere to take shelter. So I gripped the steering wheel tight and braced for the worsening wind and rain. My windshield wipers could not beat fast enough to keep a clear view of the road ahead; I couldn't even see two feet in front of my car! The wind was so rough; it kept veering me to the right and I was afraid that there might be a steep drop to the side of the highway. I finally made it to the west of the passing storm where it was still pouring buckets, but without the reported 60 m.p.h. winds. I can not describe how incredibly relieved I was to reach home. I was extremely lucky and very fortunate that I did make it home safe. Not to over dramatize, but it really was scary driving in those conditions. Once inside, I turned on the television to see the reports and they were heartbreaking. Oklahoma City was hit the worst. That poor city just can't get a break. Colleyville was hit hardest locally, but the entire DFW metroplex experienced some extreme weather last night. I just hope this is not a preview of what spring will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment